something to ponder

Question from Danny Martin, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Education and Mathematics, University of Illinois at Chicago:
While I agree that we need to give focused attention to the needs of African Ameircan males, I am always very troubled by the ways in which these these boys, and their needs, are framed. I am particularly troubled that the needs of African American boys are determined based on how they differ from white boys and African American girls. Comparisons such as these produce the damaging message that African American boys are changeworthty and that there is something wrong with them rather than something being wrong with the practices and systems that devalue their very being. A comparison with white boys, for example, carries with it an assumption that outcomes for white boys should the norm and goal for black boys. I would argue that this is an artificially low standard and that black boys should be allowed to develop and thrive to their full potential, not based on what is deemed acceptable or good for white boys. Comparing black boys to black females carries with it a dangerous and pernicious assault on black masculinity. The assumptions under both comparisons seem to be that, in order to be successful, black boys must become less black (more like white boys) and that they must become more feminine (more like African American girls). What I also find troubling is how many so-called experts and policy-makers proliferate this rhetoric without ever questioning the very premises on which they operate. Anyone who frames the needs of black boys in terms of how they differ from white boys is in no way an expert. To begin your discussion here says that you, a priori, accept the inferiority of African American boys. In my view, there is nothing inherently wrong with black boys. Many of the behaviors of these young boys are responses to systems of oppression that continue to mount vicious assaults on them everyday.

My comments are not meant to romanticize the state of black males. However, I question the very way that the so-called “problem of black boys” is framed. Black boys don’t need to be like white boys and black boys don’t need to be like African American girls. Black boys need to be cared for, loved, and respected. The truth is that too many people who work in schools and other societal institutions do not care about black boys.

I’d like your guests to comment on my assertions. If the above issues are too heavy-hitting, I’d like your guests to address the following question: How much day-to-day work do you do with African American boys, outside of research?

Thank you.

Danny Martin, Ph.D.

Michael Holzman:
I agree that African American male students should be allowed/encouraged/helped to achieve their full potential.

Comparisons wth White (or Hispanic or Asian) boy and girls are useful for pointing to inequities with the allocation of resources, including teacher professional development.
—————————————————————————————

these are both valid and necessary ways of seeing the world. i was at a conference once where one of the speakers mentioned that in some not so recent year the number of asian students with perfect act scores was greater than the total number of african american students taking the test. it seems to to me that while we ought to be aware of the negatives of these comparisons we have to face the facts. it’s the only way to move forward. more to come.
————————————————————————————–